Saturday, June 14, 2014

Does alcohol in a bottle become Ganga Ji?

Almost whenever Dharam went to see his classmate Irene, she was drunk. And almost
everytime Dharam tried to stop her, they had a fight and he had to come back disappointed. Agreed that Irene was less fortunate in her life with family and friends but would drinking fix her problems?

One day Dharam saw Irene in a sober state but extremely sad. He saw a few tears in her eyes too.

Dharam asked - Whats going on Irene? I haven't seen you like this in months.

Irene replied - O Dharam! I met Father Peter from the Lawrence Church. He said to me that I was a sinner and what else but suffering could I expect from life? Am I a sinner Dharam? What have I done? Have I ever even planned to give a hard time to anyone?

Irene continued - And if I am a sinner, then why didn't Father Peter give me a solution? Why did he just curse me like that? Isn't that so mean? I cannot believe...

And Irene started crying again.

Dharam said - Well see! If you promise that you will not drink again, I have a solution I know. I will take you to India and have you take a dip in the Ganges.  Get some holy water from the Ganges and drink that everyday. Your sins will be washed away. Anything that mixes with pure Ganga Ji becomes pure.

Irene agreed. She went to Haridwar and lived there for two weeks. She took a dip in the holy waters everyday. But one day, her craving for alcohol came back and she bought a bottle of Gin from an army man who lived close to her hotel. And she had an idea. She went and dipped the bottle in Ganga Ji and then started drinking it.

Dharam saw this and shouted - What are you doing Irene? You promised me that you wouldn't drink. Don't do this to yourselves.

Irene replied - Dharam! You told me that anything that comes in contact with the holy waters of Ganga becomes pure. So
this is not alcohol anymore. This is Ganga Jal.

Dharam was disappointed. He explained - No Irene! The alcohol was in the bottle. It never came in contact with the holy waters, so how can it become Ganga Jal? It is still alcohol and it is still nothing but a bottle of suffering.

Moral Of The Story

The saints explain to us that the one dip and bring Ganges in their mind and apologize to God for their past sins purify themselves.

However, those who take a dip in the waters as a ritual and just because others are doing it get no benefit. They take their sins back in their heart.

Similarly, devotional practice or Bhakti is to bring the pure entities God and His saints in mind. The more they come, the less will the world dare to come in the same mind and this contact with God will purify the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment