Friday, June 13, 2014

What's The Reward For My Success?

Indra and Dhruv were classmates and close friends in a high school in Mumbai. They would
sit together, eat together and sometimes study together. The teachers were surprised that both were equally competent and still had no jealousy between them.

The two passed the high school exams together but destiny took them to different universities thereafter. While Indra got admission in IIT-Mumbai, Dhruv was invited to join an engineering program in Banaras Hindu University.

Due to the difference in environments of the two, the two friends began to develop a different attitude. One could see a clear gap in their likes and dislikes and the gap was widening with the passage of time.

While Indra enjoyed listening to the top technocrats of Boston, Dhruv developed a taste for the leelas of God and Satsang. While Indra enjoyed staying up to date with the latest smart phones, Dhruv enjoyed quite times at the shore of Ganga Ji watching devotees come and pray.

Very soon, the two graduated from their universities and started working. Indra started working for a multinational company in Detroit while Dhruv preferred to stay in Bhilai and work for SAIL. 

Dhruv's mental development was taking a big turn. He was always trying to find time to read stories of the saints and listening to the Hindu acharyas on TV. He soon had a company of colleagues who had similar interests. Work was just a formality for Dhruv. He just did it to make a living but it never was a priority.

Two years passed by. And one day, Indra visited Mumbai and Dhruv met him. The two were so excited. They both wanted to share their stories.

Indra said - Hey dude! How have you been? 

Dhruv said - I am good Indra. I am so happy to see you. How are you? How is life in US?


Indra said - I am very happy. I have been very successful at Ford. My salary has gone up almost 30% since I joined them. I have a nice apartment, a Honda car and a girl friend. I am the king. I know how to make people kneel on my knees. Everyone better know that one day they will need me, my knowledge, my skills, so they better be nice to me. Hey! You started wearing those cheap kurtas? Is that the fashion here? And should I get you an Apple phone? Your phone looks like a very old Philips..

Dhruv said - I am so happy to see you Indra but that is how I live now. My job is OK, nothing great like yours. May be God wants me to live like this. But I am so happy for you. 

Dhruv continued - I have developed a taste for spiritual knowledge and God. It is so interesting. The more I read about it, the less I feel I know. Looks like it is endless and even after reading for two years, I feel I know nothing.

Moral Of The Story

The story teaches us that the success in the material world and the spiritual world have different outcomes. 

Trying to grow in the world and getting success there boosts ego.

On the other hand, trying to get spiritual knowledge and progressing towards God makes us realize that the knowledge and bliss we are pursuing is endless. That realization turns our ego into humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment