Monday, April 28, 2014

A Sweeper Is Purer Than A Brahmin

A Rasik Saint Shri Jagannath Das was in Vrindavan. One day, he was very hungry. 


He saw a sweeper sweeping the floor. He asked him - I am hungry, give me your roti (bread).

The sweeper replied - O Sage! Why do you ridicule me? I am a low caste sweeper. Why would you eat my roti?

The sage said - Come on! A sweeper of Vrindavan is superior to any Brahmin.

The sweeper could not disobey. He gave his roti to the sage who ate it.

However, when this event spread in Vrindavan, all the Brahmins complained that the sage did an impure action. His act was defying the historic rules of the society.

To this, the sage replied - I understand your complaint. But all I know is that the raj (dust) of  Vrindavan is charged with the cleaning powers of Krishna. And who would be purer than the sweeper who incessantly bathes in that raja?

This silenced everyone.

Moral of the Story

This story tells us that the Rasik saints have their own ways and rules of living. They are self-willed and fearless. They do not worry about what others will say about them.

Strange are the ways of Rasiks but through this story they also teach us that we should always realize the importance of the dust (Raj) of a Dham.

No comments:

Post a Comment