Saturday, April 26, 2014

I Can Not Tolerate Injustice To My Devotee

Ambarish was a King in the Satya Yuga. He was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. Lord Vishnu was so happy with the devotion of the King that he blessed the king with his Sudarshan Chakra. Anyone who was protected by the Sudarshan Chakra was protected from everything.

King Ambarish fasted on the 11th of every month for a year. Lord Indra, the God of the heavens grew
worried. The king already commanded the Sudarshan Chakra and if he also completed this fast successfully, he would become even more powerful than Indra. Wondering what to do, Indra saw Sage Durvasa. Indra went to Sage Durvasa with a plan.

Sage Durvasa was pleasantly surprised to see Indra. and blessed him. Indra was at his best behavior and soon won over Sage Durvasa. Sage Durvasa was happily enjoying Indra's hospitability, when Indra said, 'Great Sage! Have you heard about King Ambarish's fast? It is said that he is true devotee of Lord Vishnu! I think tomorrow he will break the fast...It would be a great occasion sir!'

Sage Durvasa nodded.Indra knew that if Sage Durvasa went there, He would always find something to get angry about and if King Ambarish even put one foot out of line....the fast would not be complete.

The next day Sage Durvasa came to Ambarish who wholeheartedly welcomed Him. The sage was very happy but he shook his head, 'Ambarish! I have just come...I need to wash up first and then we will both have some food...I think you are also due to break your fast soon...'

King Ambarish smiled, 'Yes Sir! Two hours from now would be an auspicious time to break the fast!'

Sage Durvasa smiled, 'I will clean up and both of us together will do it...'. King Ambarish nodded.

However Durvasa got delayed and the auspicious time came. The minsters of King Ambarish came forward, 'Sir! I think it would be best if you broke the fast and had a sip of water! You can wait for the sage and then have the food sir!'

The king said - No! I will wait for the Sage.


The Sage however did not come. The ministers said again, 'Sir, the auspicious time for the finishing the fast is approaching...If you do not break the fast now...there was no point in keeping your fast sir!'

Finally Ambarish agreed and took a sip of water...Just as his luck would have it, as he finished taking the sip, Sage Durvasa came all fresh and...angry!

'Ambarish! Is this how you show respect to your guest?' He thundered, 'You just broke your fast before I came...'

The king humbly said - Sir! The auspicious time was passing....I took only a sip of water.

'AUSPICIOUS TIME!....You don't know how to deal with guests...and you talk about auspicious time...' Sage Durvasa looked far from forgiving....

'Sir! I am sorry, if I have offended...' King Ambarish said again.

'OFFENDED...I...You...' Sage Durvasa said angrily, 'See what I am going to do to you...'

Sage Durvasa said plucking out a strand of hair from his head and threw it on the ground. From the strand of hair emerged a huge demon. Sage Durvasa ordered the demon, 'He...He has offended me...Kill him...' .

The demon charged at Ambarish. King Ambarish prayed to Lord Vishnu, 'My Lord! I have not committed any mistake...Please protect me and my men...' As the demon came forward, the Sudarshana Chakra appeared and killed the demon.

Now the Sudarshana Chakra turned towards the Durvasa. Durvasa ran for His life and the Chakra
followed Him! He ran on top of mountains, on plains, caves, even under water...the Chakra followed him everywhere.

Sage Durvasa ran to Lord Brahma and gasped, 'Lord! Please help me....the Sudarshana....is after me....'
Lord Brahma replied - 'I cannot help you...Durvasa...Please seek the help of Lord Shiva...'
 

Sage Durvasa ran to Lord Shiva and said - My Lord!...Please protect me.

Lord Shiva said to Durvasa with pity - 'The Sudarshana Chakra belongs to Lord Vishnu...He is the only person who can call it off!'

Durvasa ran to Vaikunta and pleaded to Lord Vishnu - 'My Lord! Please protect me from your Chakra...please'

Lord Vishnu smiled, 'Durvasa! The Sudarshana is mine, no doubt! But it is now protecting Ambarish. He is the only one who controls the Chakra. Apologize to him. Only then will you be protected.

The sage ran back to Ambarish and said - Ambarish! Please forgive me. please protect me from the Chakra!' Ambarish understood. He closed his eyes and prayed to the Lord, 'Lord! Please forgive the sage..I have forgiven Him.

No sooner had Ambarish thought the words, the Chakra stopped. It wavered for a minute and then disappeared.

Durvasa then said to King Ambarish. 'Ambarish! I have never seen a man equal to you in devotion! You broke the fast by taking a sip of water and you waited for me! The mistake was mine because I became angry for my fake ego.

Ambarish smiled and fell at the Sage's feet and asked for his blessings. Then the two of them ate together. Thus despite all the hurdles, Ambarish completed the fast, which made him as powerful as Indra, the Lord of the Heavens!

Moral Of The Story


The story teaches us that God loves His devotees more than His Swansh. He cannot tolerate injustice on devotees like Ambarish and will do anything to protect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment